109th Annual Meeting
April 28-May 1, 2013 at the Sheraton Waikiki in Honolulu, Hawaii USA
Hawaii is extremely important to the treated wood industry. Did you know that all structural wood elements in each building in Hawaii must be treated? Or that due to its climate and the presence of the Formosan subterranean termite, Hawaii provides an ideal location for rigorous wood preservative field testing? Don't miss this important technical conference which will focus on field testing and Formosan termites, including a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to visit a working treated wood field test site and a Formosan termite laboratory with hands-on demonstrations of how test samples are evaluated. If you've ever wondered how treated wood products are tested and evaluated, then you need to take part in AWPA's first ever Hawaii meeting in its 109 year history.
Pre-registration for the meeting is closed. You may register on-site at the AWPA Registration Desk April 27-30. Non-members may consider applying for membership in AWPA to take advantage of members-only discounts if their membership is approved.
Getting to Honolulu
They haven't finished building the bridge yet, so driving is out of the question. Honolulu International Airport is served by all major airlines, with direct flights from many cities around the world. Once you arrive, you can get to the hotel by shuttle or taxi. Roberts Hawaii operates a shuttle for $12 per person one-way or $20 round-trip.
The meeting will take place at the Sheraton Waikiki, located at 2255 Kalakaua Avenue in Honolulu.
Soak up local culture and history on the Honolulu spouse/guest program. On Monday morning, don't miss the keynote speaker, Hawaii resident and former POW, Captain Gerald Coffee. You will be inspired by his story and life-changing message of hope, faith, courage and honor. Then board the bus for a tour of Oahu like no other. You will spend time visiting the island's most beautiful places. You will be joined by a professional photographer who will teach you how to compose perfect scenery pictures. Bring your own camera and learn from the best. Just as you are getting hungry for lunch, Matthew Gray, Hawaii's most popular food writer will join the group. Prepare your taste buds for about 15-20 different foods, pastries, fruit, noodles, barbeque and snacks from places loved by locals. You will explore delicious foods, fascinating history and culinary decadence.
On Tuesday morning, enjoy a leisurely breakfast. Get together and plan a day on your own to shop the International Market, hike Diamond Head or relax on the beach. As always, you are invited to the closing reception and award presentation Tuesday evening.
The 2013 Hacker's Classic - Where the Legends of Golf have Played
Many of you will remember the Inaugural Champions Tour Skins Game, featuring Arnold Palmer, Sam Snead, Gary Player and Chi Chi Rodriguez, played in 1988 on the Fazio Course at the Turtle Bay Golf Club, Oahu, Hawaii. AWPA has selected this Course as the site for the 2013 AWPA Hackers Classic Golf Tournament, to be held on Sunday morning, April 28, 2013 as part of the AWPA 2013 Annual Meeting. The Fazio Course has also hosted the LPGA Hawaiian Open, and has been named one of the top courses in the State of Hawaii. Located along the coastline of Oahu’s fabled North Shore, the course offers breathtaking views and challenging golf. It is considered a seaside links course with Bermuda grass fairways and Paspalum greens. This Hackers Classic promises to be the best yet, with a scramble format, shot-gun start, contests, prizes, golf shirts, fun, and lunch at Lei Lei’s Bar & Grill at the Turtle Bay Resort. Mark it on your calendar !!!
Pickler's Prance 5K Fun Run/Walk
The 2013 Pickler’s Prance 5K Fun Run/Walk will take participants on a tour of Waikiki. The event will begin on the morning of Sunday, April 28. There is no charge for the event, but you must register to participate.
The Suppliers Showcase is a great way to make potential customers aware of your products and services at a very reasonable price. The Suppliers Showcase is normally held in conjunction with coffee breaks for a more comfortable, inviting interaction with potential sales contacts. We intentionally limit the number of spaces to maximize your opportunities to meet the people who need your products and/or services, so if you are interested, please be sure to inquire soon. Please note that registration includes full meeting registration for one person, member or non-member.
Current Suppliers Include:
Ametek Process Instruments
Applied Rigaku Technologies, Inc.
Eco Chemical, Inc.
Tentative Schedule of Events
General Chair: Jeff Morrell
Program Chair: Andy Zahora
Saturday, April 27, 2013
(Time TBA) Executive Committee Meeting
1:00 pm to 5:00 pm - Registration Desk Open (1:00 pm)
Sunday, April 28, 2013
8:00 am - Golfers meet at Turtle Bay Golf Club for 2013 Hackers Classic
8:00 am to 5:00 pm - Registration Desk Open
8:00 am - Pickler's Prance 5k Fun Run/Walk
1:00 pm to 5:00 pm - Task Group Meetings, Track 1:
1:00 pm to 2:00 pm - TBA
2:00 pm to 3:30 pm - IRG45 Organizing Committee
3:30 pm to 5:00 pm - P-6 Standard E7 Reaffirmation Task Group
1:00 pm to 5:00 pm - Task Group Meetings, Track 2:
1:00 pm to 3:30 pm - TBA
3:30 pm to 4:00 pm - T-4 RFID Pole Tag Task Group
4:00 pm to 5:00 pm - P-3 Hydrocarbon Solvent Task Group (HS and P9 Standards)
6:00 pm to 7:30 pm - President's Reception
Monday, April 29, 2013
8:00 am - Registration Desk Open
8:00 am to 10:15 am - Opening Session
- Award of Merit Recognition: Dr. Paul I. Morris
- Recognition of Sponsors
- General Committee Reports
- President's and Vice President's Addresses
- Keynote Address: Captain Gerald Coffee, Vietnam POW
10:15 am to 10:45 am (immediately following Opening Session) - Business Session
10:45 am to 11:00 am - Break - Sponsored by Stella-Jones Corporation
11:00 am to 12:15 pm - Technical Session 1: Hawaiian Builders Session
(Session Chair - Ken Laughlin)
- Hawaiian Builders Roundtable discussion:
Robert Kayser, Jr., Vice President, Gentry Builders
Jim Keller, President/CEO, Armstrong Builders
Jim Labbe, Vice President of Construction, D.R. Horton Builders
- Protection of Composites in Hawaii - Alan Ross
12:15 pm to 1:45 pm - Lunch Break (on your own)
1:45 pm to 5:00 pm - Technical Session 2: Colley/Hartford Memorial Lecture and Research Symposium
(Session Chair - Jun Zhang, Vice Chair - Ed Nichenko)
- The 2013 Colley/Hartford Memorial Lecture is entitled 'Invasive Termites and Wood Protection' and will be presented by Dr. J. Kenneth Grace, University of Hawaii at Manoa
- Barrier Systems Redux; H.M. Barnes*, M.G. Sanders, & G.B. Lindsey, Mississippi State University and C.R. McIntyre, McIntyre Associates, Inc.
- Field Stake Test Performance of PXTS Treated Parallam PSL; Paul Merrick*, Weyerhaeuser and Darrell Nicholas, Mississippi State University
- Effect of Pre-treatment Fungal Infection on the Chemistry of Micronized Copper Treated Wood; John N.R. Ruddick, University of British Columbia
- A Novel Approach for a Laboratory Evaluation of Remedial Preservative Treatments; Doug Herdman, Osmose, Inc.
- Just Right? A Comparison of Methods to Measure Decay in Accelerated Above-ground Field Exposures; Glenn Larkin* and Peter E. Laks, Michigan Technological University
- Hawaii, An Ideal Location for Accelerated Above Ground Field Tests to Generate Predictive Performance Data; P. Walcheski, L. Jin, A. Zahora, C. Shauwecker, A. Preston and Kevin Archer*, Viance, LLC
- Effect of Preservative Treatment on Spike Withdrawal from Douglas-fir Ties; Jeff Morrell, Oregon State University
- Long-term Field Performance of Micronized Copper Azole Preservative using Industry Standardized Testing Procedure; Jun Zhang* and Rich Ziobro, Osmose, Inc.
- Effect of Reusing Extraction Liquids from Microwave Extracted CCA-treated Wood and Anti-fungal Activities; Todd Shupe*, Chung Y. Hse and Xinan Zhang
- The Effects of Different Preservatives on Electrical Resistance Properties in Crossties; Shane Kitchens, Mississippi State University
5:00 pm to 6:30 pm - Technical Forum Poster Session and Reception
(Session Chair - Mike Sanders, Vice Chair - Terry Amburgey)
- Biotreatment of Highly Contaminated Creosote Processwater - Kimberly Walker, S. Langroodi, and H. Borazjani
- Observations from Laboratory Termite Testing - Michael Sanders and G. Brian Lindsey
- Student Poster Competition Entries:
- Enhanced Remediation of Pentachlorophenol (PCP) Contaminated Groundwater by Bio-Augmentation of Bacterial Communities - Vaibhav Joshi, H. Borazjani, D.P. Ma, and M.L. Prewitt
- Effects of Modification on the Properties of Pine Scrim Lumber - Weiqi Leng, Mike Barnes
- Quantification of Reacted Copper(II) Levels in Micronized Copper Treated Wood - Wei Xue, Pierre Kennepohl, and John N.R. Ruddick
- Monitoring Termite Alate Flight Phenology with Citizen Scientists on Oahu, Hawaii - Reina L. Tong, Makena Mason, Maria Aihara-Sasaki and J. Kenneth Grace
- Observations of the Effects of Changing Climate on Caste Differentiation in Reticulitermes flavipes in the Field - R.A. Arango, G.R. Esenther, and F. Green III
Tuesday, April 30, 2013
8:00 am to 5:00 pm - Registration Desk Open
8:00 am to 12:00 noon - Technical Session 3: Termite Symposium
(Session Chair - J. Kenneth Grace)
- Termite Problems and Their Management in Southeast Asia - Chow-Yang Lee, Universiti Sains Malaysia
- Performance of Borate Pressure Treated Wood Against Termites in a 10 Year Field Test - Paul Morris*, FPInnovations; Kunio Tsunoda, Kyoto University and J. Kenneth Grace, University of Hawaii at Manoa
- Mechanisms of Action and Use of Borates in Termite Control - Jeff D. Lloyd*, Nisus Corporation; Lina M. R. Nunez, Laboratorio Nacional de Engenharia Civil and Kirsten G. van den Meiracker, North Greenville University
- Fieldwork in Hawaii: Testing Wood for Termite and Decay Resistance in Paradise - Peter Laks* and Glenn Larkin, Michigan Technological University
- Termite Tests in Hilo Hawaii - Review of More than 20 Years Method Development - Lehong Jin*, Andy Zahora, Paul Walcheski, Kevin Archer and Alan Preston, Viance.
- Effects of Termite Procurement Variables on the AWPA E1-09 Standard Method for Laboratory Testing to Determine Resistance to Subterranean Termites - Jay Curole, Todd Shupe*, Qinglin Wu and Dennis Ring, Louisiana State University Agricultural Center
- Research Updates on Drywood Termite Foraging Behavior, Detection Devices, and Local Treatment Performance - Vernard Lewis, University of California
- Synergy of Diflubenzuron Baiting and Nha Dusting on Mortality of Reticulitermes Flavipes - Frederick Green*, Rachel A. Arango and Glenn R. Esenther, USDA Forest Products Laboratory; M. Guadalupe Rojas and Juan Morales, USDA-ARS
12:00 noon to 1:30 pm - Lunch Break (on your own)
1:30 pm to 3:00 pm - Technical Session 4: New Preservative Systems
(Session Chair - Jerry Winandy)
- Thermal Modification of Wood: Processes, Performance and Applied Design - Patrick Donahue, University of Minnesota-Duluth and Martin DeSpang, University of Hawaii-Manoa
- Review of Enzymatic Wood Modification for Wood Protection Purposes: Successes and Potential - Dragica Jeremic, Mississippi State University
- Application Methods for Moldicidal Diffusion Treatment of Solid Wood and Composites - Scott Hoffman, Lonza Wood Protection
- Barrier Wrap Technology: A Review and Technology Update to the AWPA - Mike Freeman, Independent Wood Scientist and Craig McIntyre, McIntyre Associates, LLC
3:00 pm to 3:15 pm - Break
3:15 pm to 4:45 pm - Technical Session 5: Utility/Industrial Topics
(Session Chair - Tim Carey) (Concurrent with Technical Session 6)
- A Hot and Arid Pole World - Norman Sedillo, Public Service New Mexico
- Potential for Controlling Carpenter Ants in Utility Poles with Borates - Mark Mankowski, American Borate Company
- Conditions of In-Service Guardrail Posts After 20 Years - Jeff Morrell, Oregon State University
- Creosote Absorption Through Skin Following Contact with Creosote-Treated Wood - John Butala
- Australian Utility Practices - Michael Powell
3:15 pm to 4:45 pm - Technical Session 6: General Topics
(Session Chair - Jeff Morrell) (Concurrent with Technical Session 5)
- Micronized Colorants for Treated Wood - Gary Converse, Osmose Inc.
- Copper Chemistry - John Ruddick, University of British Columbia
- Role of Drying in Wood Preservation - Andrew Zahora, Viance LLC
- Copper Naphthenate and Boron, a Perfect Match - Mike Freeman
6:00 pm to 8:00 pm - Closing Reception and Awards Presentation - Sponsored Lonza Wood Protection and Rio Tinto Minerals
Wednesday, May 1, 2013
8:00 am to 1:00 pm - Formosan Termite and Wood Treatment Test Plot Field Trip
12:30 pm to 5:00 pm - Registration Desk Open
1:30 pm to 3:30 pm - ASC O5 Meeting
AWPA Technical Committee Meetings:
3:30 pm to 4:30 pm - P-3: Oilborne and Creosote-based Preservative Systems
4:30 pm to 5:30 pm - P-4: Waterborne Preservative Systems
5:30 pm to 6:00 pm - T-1: Treatments Coordination
6:00 pm to 7:00 pm - T-7: Quality Control and Inspection